In this study, Baringa has sought to bring its landmark 2018 70 by 30 study into 2021, by accounting for significant market and policy developments in Northern Ireland, and to determine the necessary steps to achieve a zero-carbon power sector.
Key findings - what have we learned?
- Increasing the renewable electricity generation (RES-E) in Northern Ireland from around 45% today to a target of greater than 80% is very achievable by 2030, using the same approach required to achieve a less ambitious 70% target, and implementing more of existing and proven technologies.
- The SONI TESNI 2020 Accelerated Ambition scenario renewable capacity targets should be adopted for 2030; 2.5 GW of onshore wind, 500 MW of offshore wind and 1.2 GW of solar PV.
- This target can be achieved at a lower cost to the end consumer in Northern Ireland, compared to delivery of a less ambitious 70% RES-E target.
- A zero-carbon power system is possible, and is an achievable target in the early 2030s.
- Realising this target requires incremental investment in a suite of technologies new to Northern Ireland, and the implementation of a carbon price floor in the I-SEM.
Watch Mark Turner present the findings of this study at a Wind Energy Ireland webinar here.
In our Endgame report, we explored the benefits unlocked to end consumers of reaching an equivalent 80% renewable electricity by 2030 in Ireland. Read more on the results of our study here.
For more information on the contents of the report or how Baringa can help your organisation, please contact the report authors Mark Turner and Alec Granville-Willett.
Water: lessons from the smart energy meter rollout
The challenges faced by the water sector in its own smart rollout and how it can overcome them.Read more
State of climate reporting
Five observations on energy and commodities trading.Read more
Quantifying the business case impacts of REMA
Do you understand the impact of REMA on the profitability of different technologies? Watch this webinar to inform your investment decision making.Read more
Energy Trading Week Insider: navigating the digital energy transition
In this interview, Howard Walker, CEO of America's for Commodities People, talks with Talis Bennett-Verschure, one of Baringa’s Energy and Resources experts about the digital energy transition and its impact on the energy market.Read more